This week was great. We had the chance to have a Family History booth at the Columbia County Fair. It was a wonderful way to talk to tons of people. A lot of seeds were planted and we even got some potential investigators! We were only there Wednesday and half ofSaturday but the other missionaries were there the rest of the week. It was fun to talk about family history. I wish I knew more cool stories about my ancestors. Are there any that you could tell me about?
It seems as though tragedy is everywhere. We've heard about typhoons and other crazy things going on around the world. And here in Lake city we have a recent convert in our ward who has cancer. Another sister is very close to the end of her life. Another sister's son just died suddenly in is sleep. He was 24, married, and has a 6 month-old. And another lady's son just committed suicide. I think that missionaries especially get news of all the tragedy. It is sad but it reminds me of my own trials and makes me grateful for how they molded me into the young woman that I am. It also makes me eternally grateful for the Plan of Salvation. That wonderful Plan of Happiness that our Heavenly Father created because he loves us and he wants us to BECOME like him. These trials that we go through are the experiences that help us to BECOME like Him. That doesn't make it easy but it definitely gives me hope and an eternal perspective that is truly wonderful.
We have seen so many wonderful miracles this week! One particular day we were knocking some doors in a neighborhood and almost everyone we talked to was so nice and said we could come back! One lady referred us to her next door neighbor. We knocked on the door and the lady opened the door and was so sweet. She let us right in and talked a lot! After about ten minutes of talking to her and piecing things together, we found out that she was already a member! She had lived there for almost a year and had never gotten her records transferred here from New York. It was so miraculous that we found her. She keeps a Book of Mormon in her bathroom and her living room so she can read the Book of Mormon every morning and night. She came to church on Sunday and she wants to prepare to go to the temple! That is just one of the miracles that we saw this week!
We had an appointment with a referral we got from the fair. It is a family with two adorable red heads. We talked to the wife for a while. She is very southern baptist and we talked to her about the Plan of Salvation. She had met the missionaries at the fair a couple years ago and somehow got a hold of a plan of salvation pamphlet and believed it all. She even handed a bunch of the pamphlets out to people at the hospital! She was so wonderful to talk to and we are excited to start teaching her more about the wonderful restored gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray for them to have softened hearts and open minds.
We went to visit a sister in our ward who is very frail and sick. She is so sincere and loving and wonderful. I shared the scripture from my missionary plaque (2 Nephi 22:2) with her and she said "That is beautiful, I think I will have you read that at my funeral. Yes, I want you to read that at my funeral. Wow. That is beautiful." She is so sweet.
My companion likes chocolate and sweet things and basically anything that is digestible. Just as much as me. I fear that I am gaining weight.... I should probably work on my self-control. Oh but it is wonderful because we eat so many wonderful thing. Also, we run every morning, so its all good. If you want you should check out her blog where her mom puts her letters. I think her letters are probably more entertaining than mine. It is sisterwinkler.wordpress.com.
I love you all. Have a fantastic Veteran's Day!
Sister Kasteler
No comments:
Post a Comment